Finding Carnivore (with Coffee?)
I love coffee but when adapting to a carnivore diet, I had some concerns. Here is a review of my concerns, the good, the bad and the ugly of coffee within a carnivore way of life.
When I found out about the carnivore dietary lifestyle in 2015, I binge read the success stories on the Zero Carb Zen website, scoured the Principle Carnivora Facebook group, and read every line from My Zero Carb Life.
The first thing I thought was “I am in!” Then my next thought was, “what about coffee?” Have you heard the jingle, “the best part of waking up”? That’s me, and my relationship with coffee.
Training for this bikini competition has given me the focus of 100% carnivore, with the exception of java.
Mixed Messages of Coffee with Carnivore
If you scour coffee with carnivore in Facebook groups, you might be confused. There are comments that coffee is OK, it is horrible, or if you are having issues with carnivore, give it up today!
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Coffee
Here is my take on whether that cup of java should be included in your carnivore way of eating.
- Jumpstart Your Day – Caffeine boosts alertness and productivity. It has also been shown to boost athletic performance.
- Makes Me Happy – More than one study has found that coffee improves mood.
- Not Carnivore – I would like to make coffee an honorary animal but alas it is not. Like all plants, they make their own chemicals to ward off predators (bugs). Caffeine is the plant’s natural pesticide. If you are ok with this (consuming pesticide), then coffee might be ok for you.
- Not Necessary – Even though I may prefer coffee to most other things (I believe this is commonly referred to as an addiction), it is not essential to human health.
- Too much of a good thing – Excessive amounts of caffeine mess up your brain chemicals. Long term coffee overuse can create imbalances in the neurotransmitter’s serotonin, dopamine, and GABA. This can lead to mood problems like low mild depression, low motivation, irritability, and impaired cognition.
The Verdict on Coffee with Carnivore
Coffee is neither a meat nor water. Therefore, with the carnivore way of life, it is best to avoid altogether. If you don’t have any issues that need to be addressed and coffee is your only vice then it is probably ok for you to consume.
Helpful Tips if Drinking Coffee while Carnivore:
Limit your consumption. Drink water. Coffee is dehydrating so drink at least the same amount of water as your cup of java.
Make Good Choices With Coffee
If you are like me, and choose to indulge in coffee (at least for now), I recommend purchasing good quality coffee.
Old Bisbee Roasters is concerned about good quality, tastes good and is processed without a bunch of chemicals.
In Canada, my fellow carnivore lady recommends:
Follow Our Adventure
We want to share our journey with you.
- Monday’s – Posting progress photos and sending them to our email list (we are not ready to show the world our wrinkles and rolls but we will share our progress to our email list every Monday)
- Thursdays – IG Live Q & A (that’s Instagram if your old school like Carnivore H)
- Daily – Food and workout pics on FB and IG
About us, we are just like you, women who are struggling with aging, hormones, changing family dynamics and how it sucks to grow old. What are your fears and desires? Where do you want or need accountability in your life?
This could be anything including food addictions, maintaining consistency, time management, or just being accountable for YOU.
Have you forgotten about yourself after all these years while you’ve been taking care of everyone else?
Stay in the loop. Join our email list. We will send you our progress and if you’d like, share your journey as well.